Eligible candidates who successfully complete the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services may be admitted into a fifth year certificate program in order to complete additional training and field work experiences that meet the educational training requirements for being a Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor or Student Assistance Professional.

Student Assistance Professionals are typically employed in school districts, where they provide  prevention, education, outreach, and other support services to students, under the direction of a certified or licensed alcohol and drug abuse counseling supervisor.

Becoming credentialed as a Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor provides higher level employment opportunities in hospitals or in residential-, school-, or community-based substance abuse counseling agencies. In addition to meeting educational and supervised practical training requirements, certification as a CADC requires a total of 6,000 hours (three years) of supervised work experience (paid or volunteer) providing alcohol and drug counseling services within 10 years prior to the date of the application. An earned Bachelor Degree may be substituted for 2,000 hours of work experience.

In addition, applicants must pass IC&RC/AODA, Inc.’s international written examination; present a written, representative case of the applicant’s choosing that demonstrates his/her skills, knowledge, and competence; and pass a case presentation method examination, which measures competence in the twelve core functions, as measured by peers through an oral examination.

In order to complete the certificate program, students must satisfactorily complete the IC&RC/AODA equivalent practice exam.

Download our Academic Catalog for complete program details.