College of St. Joseph has a successful history of serving adult learners.
Approximately 80% of our night students and 20% of our day students are adult learners. Many of our prospective students have been out of school for many years, so we place emphasis on the nonacademic growth a student may have had since their last participation in formal education.
Courses required for a degree are cycled so most degree programs can be completed by attending only in the evening if desired.
To complete your application
Applicants should submit the following to our Admissions Office:
- A completed application or the Common Application.
- A brief essay so we can learn more about your background (200-400 words).
- All official high school and/or college transcripts.*
- A $25 non-refundable application fee.
* An official transcript is one that is sent directly to the college from another institution and bears the official seal of the school and/or the signature of an official.
CSJ offers academic advising for adult learners. We will counsel you into courses that fit your background and interest.
If you are uncertain about your skills, we offer placement tests to determine which courses are right for you.
To further discuss transfer credits or credit for life experience, please contact our Registrar’s Office.
Alternative Credits for Adult Learners
The college allows eligible adult learners to translate their experience into college credit through a variety of options.
By participating in alternative credit options, students may reduce the number of classroom hours needed to attain a degree. Students planning to earn a degree from College of St. Joseph may enroll in the Harvest program at any time during the spring, fall or summer academic sessions.
Learning is evaluated through a variety of assessment tools including:
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Defense Activities for Non-traditional Education Services (DANTES)
- American Council of Education (ACE)
- Program on Non-Collegiate Sponsored Institutions (PONSI)
- American Council of Banking (AIB)
- Challenge exams