Vermont Immunization Law

School Year 2012-13

Dear College or Post-Secondary Student:

You are receiving this letter because you will be entering a college or university and the Vermont immunization law requires that students enrolled in certain postsecondary schools be immunized.

You will need to submit your immunization records if you are:

  • Born after 1956 and enrolling more than half time as an undergraduate
  • (unless your instruction solely involves research, field work, or study away
  • from the school).
  • Born after 1956 and are enrolling into a health science program either parttime
  • or full-time.
  • Attending school, either part-time or full-time, while on a student or other visa.

If these criteria apply to you, then you must have received the following

immunizations before classes begin:

  • 1 dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine or one dose of Td
  • (tetanus and diphtheria) vaccine within the past ten years (Tdap preferred)
  • 2 doses of MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine
  • 3 doses of hepatitis B vaccine
  • 2 doses of chickenpox (varicella) vaccine or documentation of disease
  • 1 dose of meningococcal vaccine (required only for first year students living in dormitories)

Upon enrollment, an official immunization record must be presented to the student health center at your college or university. These records can be obtained from your primary care provider’s office. If you have not received all of the required immunizations, please schedule an appointment with your primary care provider

prior to attendance.

If you have had chickenpox, you do not need the vaccine. However, a Health Department form or a signed statement noting that you have had the disease must

be submitted to the college. This form is available at the Health Department website:

You may claim an exemption for one or more immunizations based on medical, religious, or philosophical reasons. However, you will need to complete and submit an exemption form to your college/university. This form is available on the Health Department’s website:

Please note that – without the necessary documentation – you will not be able to enroll in your educational program.