Social media concentration (for students who are currently in a degree program)
The social media concentration is for students who are currently in a degree program. It can be be combined with any of the undergraduate majors offered at CSJ. A student completing a social media concentration will be equipped to manage social media and Web properties for a business or organization in their chosen field.
Why earn a concentration in social media?
Businesses and organizations large and small need employees with skills in creating and managing Web content, whether that is on the company website, on social media outlets or email marketing.
Here is just a small sampling of recent job listings have shown these as required or desired skills:
- Social media content creator & virtual trainer
- Web communication assistant
- Health communications professional
- Museum curator
- Executive director of historical society
- Wealth management and social media – senior manager
- Sustainable investment analyst
- Client services associate
Required courses for a Social Media Concentration (total 15 credits)
- BUS432 Web-Based Marketing & Advertising, 3 credits
- SOM201.1 Writing for the Web, 3 credits
- Social Media Communications, 3 credits
- MAT202.1 Statistics, 3 credits
- One elective, 3 credits
- COM201 Mass Media in American Culture /or
- Digital Marketing Internship
Matriculated students of any major may choose a concentration in social media. A student completing a social media concentration will be equipped to manage social media and Web properties for a business or organization in their chosen field. Those completing this concentration will:
- Communicate effectively through writing and design using blogs, social media and other online platforms.
- Analyze website and social media analytics data to assess and improve performance.
- Demonstrate how social media principles can be put to use to engage an audience.
- Design, plan and execute effective online marketing solutions.