Fieldwork in Alcohol & Substance Abuse

Typically, entry level employment and advancement opportunities exist in community, residential and outpatient settings, as well as public and private schools, working under direct supervision of certified or licensed alcohol and drug abuse professionals.


  • Counseling
  • Residential Management
  • Spiritual Advising
  • Program Development & Evaluation

Types of Employers

  • Alcohol & Drug Treatment Centers
  • Transitional Living Facilities
  • Hospitals
  • Department of Social Services

*An advanced degree or additional training may be required for some of these careers, with an associate or bachelor degree being a good first step toward this goal. This is not an exhaustive list of occupations and places of employment associated with this major.